The Delran Township Police Department Records Bureau assists residents with the application, processing, and registration of firearms. For questions, please call 856-461-4498.
On February 18, 2019, The New Jersey State Police Firearms Investigation Unit announced the statewide activation of the Firearms Application and Registration System (FARS). The activation of FARS will allow firearms applications to be created and submitted online using the following website: https://www.njportal.com/NJSP/fars.
The new online application is APPLICANT DRIVEN. If the applicant makes a mistake while applying, they simply can RE-APPLY. The applicant should understand that all application fees are non-refundable and non-transferable. The applicant MUST utilize the correct ORI number (NJ0031000) for the Delran Township Police Department.
Step 1: To apply online, visit the following website: https://www.njportal.com/NJSP/fars. The applicant MUST enter their “Official Name”. They cannot utilize simplified versions of their names (Example: Joe vs. Joseph).
Step 2: When you log on, you must enter the Delran Township Police Department’s ORI #: NJ0031000. Applicants using this ORI # MUST live in Delran Township. If you’re unsure which town to apply for, please contact the Delran Township Tax Assessor’s Office to verify your residency, at 856-461-7736.
Step 3: Complete the online application. You may complete the application using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. Be sure to check all relevant boxes for the items you are applying for. When deciding how many permits you would like to get, remember the following:
- ONE permit is required for each handgun you wish to purchase (each permit is $2.00)
- You can purchase one (1) handgun in a 30-day period
- Permits are good for up to 180 days (with renewal after 90 days)
- If you decide you want another handgun permit and you didn’t get more than one initially, you will need to apply again
Step 4: A representative of the Delran Township Police Department will contact you with the results of your application. You will also be contacted when your permits and relevant paperwork is ready for pick-up. Please bring exact cash or check/money order. NO CHANGE WILL BE MADE.
- You will be receiving automated email updates throughout the online process.
- Please advise your references that the FARS system will email them the reference questions to be answered. Your references can complete the questions using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. Please advise them to complete the questions immediately to progress your background investigation.
- The online application is applicant driven. Please ensure that you have entered the best phone number and email addresses for yourself and your references.
- Family members can be references.
- After the applicant enters all required information, a review page appears where the applicant can edit all information entered into the application prior to final submission.
- An INITIAL APPLICANT will be able to print out their fingerprint form at the end of the application, and are directed to do so.
- The applicant should also print both the confirmation page and application at the end of the process. This is for quick reference in the event of an issue.
- For additional firearms regulations and procedural information please visit the New Jersey State Police website: http://www.njsp.org/about/firearms.html.
Firearms Fee Schedule
- Applications for Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (STS-033): Cash (exact change) or Money Order payable to the “Delran Township Police Department” in the amount of $5.00.
- Applications to Purchase a Handgun (STS-033): Cash (exact change) or Money Order payable to the “Delran Township Police Department” in the amount of $2.00 per handgun permit.
- Application for a Duplicate Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (STS-033): There is NO fee.