Firearms Permits and Registration
The Delran Township Police Department Records Bureau assists residents with the application, processing, and registration of firearms. For questions, please call 856-461-4498.
On February 18, 2019, The New Jersey State Police Firearms Investigation Unit announced the statewide activation of the Firearms Application and Registration System (FARS). The activation of FARS will allow firearms applications to be created and submitted online using the following website: https://www.njportal.com/NJSP/fars.
The new online application is APPLICANT DRIVEN. If the applicant makes a mistake while applying, they simply can RE-APPLY. The applicant should understand that all application fees are non-refundable and non-transferable. The applicant MUST utilize the correct ORI number (NJ0031000) for the Delran Township Police Department.
Step 1: To apply online, visit the following website: https://www.njportal.com/NJSP/fars. The applicant MUST enter their “Official Name”. They cannot utilize simplified versions of their names (Example: Joe vs. Joseph). Also note, the name on your license must match the name entered on your application including suffix (Example: John M. Smith Jr. vs. John M. Smith II).
Step 2: When you log on, you must enter the Delran Township Police Department’s ORI #: NJ0031000. Applicants using this ORI # MUST live in Delran Township. If you’re unsure which town to apply for, please contact the Delran Township Tax Assessor’s Office to verify your residency, at 856-461-7736.
Step 3: Complete the online application. It is recommended to use a desk top computer if possible, using web browsers such as Chrome or Edge. Be sure to check all relevant boxes for the items you are applying for. If you want to buy a handgun you will need a permit to purchase a handgun. When deciding how many permits you would like to get, remember the following:
- ONE permit is required for each handgun you wish to purchase (each permit is $25.00)
- You can purchase one (1) handgun in a 30-day period
- Permits are good for up to 180 days
- If you decide you want another handgun permit and you didn’t get more than one
initially, you will need to apply again
Step 4: At the end of your application, it will let you know how much you owe the Delran Police Department for your application, Example (“Payment to the Issuing Police Department” $75.00). This is separate from your online payment to the state for your background check. Please bring exact cash or check/money order to the Delran Police Department on a weekday between 9AM – 4:30PM. NO CHANGE WILL BE MADE, AND WE DO NOT TAKE “DONATIONS”.
Firearms Fee Schedule
- Applications for Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (STS-033): Cash (exact change) or Money Order payable to the “Delran Township Police Department” in the amount of $50.00.
- Applications to Purchase a Handgun (STS-033): Cash (exact change) or Money Order payable to the “Delran Township Police Department” in the amount of $25.00 per handgun permit.
- Application for a Duplicate Firearms Purchaser Identification Card or Change of Address (STS-033): There is NO fee owed to Delran Township Police Department.
- You will be receiving automated email updates throughout the online process.
- Please advise your references that the FARS system will email them the reference questions to be answered. Your references can complete the questions using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. Please advise them to complete the questions immediately to progress your background investigation.
- The online application is applicant driven. Please ensure that you have entered the best phone number and email addresses for yourself and your references.
- Family members can be references.
- After the applicant enters all required information, a review page appears where the applicant can edit all information entered into the application prior to final submission.
- An INITIAL APPLICANT will be able to schedule their fingerprint appointment with IDENTIGO.com at the end of the application, and are directed to do so.
- The applicant should also print both the confirmation page and application at the end of the process. This is for quick reference in the event of an issue.
- For additional firearms regulations and procedural information please visit the New Jersey State Police website: https://www.nj.gov/njsp/firearms/index.shtml
If after submitting your application you need to make a change or correction to a reference or any other information, please contact the Delran Police Department to request the change (856)-461-4498. Not all information can be changed and may require the applicant to reapply and pay application fees again. Please do not submit another application on the FARS system unless told to by the Delran Police Department.
APPLICATION FOR PERMIT TO CARRY A HANDGUN
Please CLICK HERE for permit application and information.